Keeping you in the know

Blog

Increase in Workplace Pensions from 6 April 2018

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
The minimum amount that employer’s have to pay into a workplace pension scheme is increasing from 6th April 2018 to a minimum of 2% of qualifying earnings.  Employees will contribute 3% ensuring a combined total minimum contribution of 5%. More than 9 million employees, so far, have been auto enrolled into a workplace pension scheme,

National Minimum and National Living Wage Increases from 1 April 2018

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
As from 1st April the National Minimum and National Living Wage will be: The adult rate has increased by 4.4% from £7.50 to £7.83. The 21-24 year olds rate has increased by 4.68% from £7.05 to £7.38 The 18-20 year olds rate has increased by 5.35% from £5.60 to £5.90 The under 18 year old

HMRC – PHISHING AND E-MAIL SCAMS

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
Thousands of taxpayers are targeted each year by criminals by using bogus forms of communication e.g. e-mails, text and social media messages.  There are simple steps you can take to check whether HMRC have in fact contacted you. E-mail addresses – bogus e-mails usually have e-mail addresses similar to those of HMRC such as Revenue,

WHEN ARE DIRECTORS’ EXEMPT FROM AUTOMATIC ENROLMENT DUTIES?

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
Are you a director and unsure whether auto enrolment applies to you? Auto enrolment does not apply when a company or an individual are not considered an employer.  If you meet one of the following criteria then duties are not owed, You are a sole director company, with no staff Your company has a number

DIRECTORS’ RESPONSIBILITIES OF INFORMING COMPANY HOUSE OF CHANGES

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
You may, or may not, be aware of recent changes to the Directors responsibility of letting Companies House know when there have been changes to your Company. Previously, you only had to inform Companies House of any changes annually – this has now changed to notifying them within 14 days/a month of any change to

Self Assessment Deadline of 31st January – Don’t be Late!

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
With only a few weeks to go before the deadline, is it vital that you file your self-assessment tax return online (for tax year 2016/17) by 31st January. You must also pay what you owe or you could face penalties.  The deadline for paying the tax for the 2016/17 tax year and your first payment

Trade Shows – It’s all about the Hook

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
SME trade shows can be a sea of blue and grey suits.  So, if we are saying we are different, this is a great opportunity to show we are. At a trade show, we are looking for conversations.  Conversation with people who have businesses. These allow us to show people that we are knowledgeable, personable,

The Death of the Paper SA302

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
As from 4th September HMRC is no longer issuing paper copies of form SA302. An SA302 is evidence of earnings and may be needed, for example, if you are applying for a mortgage and you have your own business. It is the self-employed equivalent of a P60 (a statement of earnings from employment for the

Employee Christmas Bonuses and Parties

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
It’s that time of year again when we are counting down to the man in the red suit paying us a visit.  Make sure that it is not the tax man visiting you in the New Year, by understanding the guidelines on treating your team to a party, night out or bonus. Bonuses Employers providing

Changes to the Way you can Pay HMRC

  • Posted by businessworks
  • 0 Comments
HMRC are making some changes to the way that customers can make payments to them, to make it more secure and convenient to you. As from 15th December 2017 you will no longer be able to pay at the Post Office and from 13th January 2018 you will no longer be able to pay by